শনিবার, ৪ মে, ২০১৩

First Person: Dismal U.S. Job Market Led an Iraq War Vet to Pursue His Passion

President Obama and Michelle Obama are pushing companies to hire more U.S. military veterans. They said Tuesday that, through a program called Joining Forces, employers have hired or trained 290,000 veterans since August 2011. Through short stories and photos, Yahoo News asked veterans whether they've found work since the start of the 2007 recession or, if not, how their job hunt is going.

FIRST PERSON | When I returned from Iraq in 2009, after having served as a machine gunner for a convoy security team in Mosul as a member of the Washington Army National Guard, I quickly found that the U.S. job market had dried up in my absence.

I'd been a licensed securities dealer before enlisting, but my securities license had expired while I was in Iraq, and none of the Wall Street firms that I spoke with cared to help me renew them, in spite of the fact that they'd lapsed due to my decision to volunteer for service during a time of war.

With seemingly few options available, and with the encouragement of some of my military councilors and closest friends who knew where my heart truly lay, I decided to take the plunge and write full-time.

I've moved to the Philippines to do so, and I am actually earning enough from my writing now to feed my family. What I thought was a curse, a very sour U.S. job market, has been my biggest professional blessing. I no longer do what I'm qualified to do. I now do what I love to do, and I've never been happier.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/first-person-dismal-u-job-market-led-iraq-150100768.html

FGCU Reid Flair tony romo Good Friday 2013 good friday Dufnering What Is Good Friday

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন